NTI believes that effective research focused on current claims data is crucial to gaining greater insights into serious heavy vehicle incidents. Fundamentally, truck crash research is a prerequisite for achieving sustainable improvements in road safety - not only for our customers but for all road users.
For the past 20 years NTI has conducted longitudinal studies tracking a workforce of heavy vehicle drivers involved in accidents. Studies have focused on primary data of major crashes managed by NTI with an aggregate cost greater than (>) $50,000. The findings have been published biannually by the National Truck Accident Research Centre (NTARC), NTI’s independent research facility. We have used information from the following sources in our research:
- NTI Claims Database;
- NTI Accident Assist 24 hour national support centre;
- Claims forms and accident reports;
- Police reports;
- Independent investigators;
- Interviews with repair managers, drivers, owners, risk surveyors and witnesses; and
- On-scene crash recovery operators.
In the coming years, NTARC will evolve and change to become a research centre which reflects our market position as Australia’s Specialist Insurer.